Smoothies, shakes, overnight oats, etc. We all have our version of what works for us in the a.m. or as a simple meal replacement or after a workout. I have many and to say any one is my favorite would be like asking which of my kids is my favorite (it’s my son) … kidding love them the same.
I do, however, have my “go-to” shake that’s like one part nutrition supplement, one part science experiment, and perhaps one part a delicious dare every time I make it. As adventurous as I may be with my shake choices my beautiful girl isn’t as much of a dare devil, Mmmmm the faces she makes when I say, “Babe you need to try this, it’s really good” … the response I get back is less than encouraging in most cases, but after the facial distortions and “ewww, that looks like liquid garbage” she tries it and i usually pleasantly surprised (of course she doesn’t always tell me, but I know—I ALWAYS know).
What makes my shakes not just delicious (albeit sorta gross looking) are the extra ingredients that provide a power punch to the system … sort of like your body, mind and soul giving each other a high five and a flick in the nuts at the same time.
So check out this power packed present to your body in the form of “liquid garbage.” I think you’ll like it…the rest of you will for sure:Ingredients
Liquid Garbage aka morning protein shake
- 1 banana
- 2 cups nut milk (I prefer coconut milk, Gastro Lovely prefers oat milk)
- 1 Tbs milled flaxseed (omega-3s)
- 1 1/2 Tbs cacao powder (mega-dose of antioxidants)
- 1 Tbs moringa powder—in place of greens if you like powder (protein, calcium, iron and fiber)
- 1 tsp maca powder (vitamins C and B6, calcium, iron, potassium, copper, manganese, protein, and other good stuff)
- 1 Tbs chia seeds (omega-3s, protein, fiber, other vitamins)
- 1/2 Tbs of ground cinnamon (anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, chalk full of other incredible properties)
- 1 Tbs of liquid MCT oil (gotta have my good fats especially in the a.m. to assist with brain fog and at my age I need all the help I can get)
- You can add any greens kale, spinach, etc. if you like but with everything that’s tossed in here it may be overkill … but knock yourself out.
Uh…just add it all together in your mixer and blend. I think you’ll like it. Yes if you can get past what it may look like especially if you opt to use water rather than a nut milk, the liquid garbage will be something you will want to make over and over. Enjoy.
Ummmm … can we add a little almond butter, or cashews and shaved coconut like in the photo? I mean I’ve learned the difference between maca and matcha, between cacoa (did I spell that right?) and coco so I think I deserve a little extra something sweet with my morning glass of garbage. Please 😉
To learn more about the “Almost Vegan, Plan-Based Diet and Lifestyle Boot Camp,” we’ve launched, download the media kit as a PDF or open the “About” page from the menu and select “Media Kit” to view it in its entirety. Questions? Press@ShaunaNosler.com | Press@Gastro-Licious.com
Banana Bread Doesn’t Have To Be Pretty
Coconut flour made this bread look ugly but also made it healthy and super delicious.
The Best Grab & Go Breakfast
What do you grab when you’re starving but don’t have a lot of time? Hint, there is no right answer, but there are a lot of wrong ones …
Krusteaz Gluten Free Muffins
When it comes to food, beauty may or may not be in the ye of the beholder … but taste is taste and these are delicious!